Sonic.net Backup Service

Sonic.net would like to invite you to try out our new online backup service. Our online backup service is available for OS X and Windows 2K or greater. It comes with a 50GB quota to backup all of your important documents and pictures.

For helping us test this new service you will receive in addition to the 90 day trial period an extra 90 days of backup service. If you would like to sign up for this service, please email support@sonic.net so we can sign you up!

12 comments for “Sonic.net Backup Service

1. Tom
    August 13, 2008 at 4:48 pm

How much will the backup service cost after the 90 plus 90 day trial period?

2. Sun
    August 13, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Will you be able to remove upload bandwidth cap assuming the backup service is within the Sonic.net work? It’d be nice to send at a fast rate so we’re not waiting forever to finish a backup.

3. Mike
    August 13, 2008 at 6:17 pm

According to a post that I saw in the sonic.net newsgroup, the cost would be $4.95/mo for 50GB.

4. Dane Jasper
    August 14, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Pricing is $4.95/mo. We can adjust the bandwidth cap as needed.

5. Alex
    August 19, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I’ve installed it and started a manual back up. I’ve got a couple questions.

1) It is going to take a long time to back upso: Will the backups that I scheduled in the setup conflict with the manual that is currently running?

2) Will the scheduled backups run as a service. I.e. do I need to be logged in on windows in order for it to backup?

6. Alex
    August 19, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I think I just figured out the answer to my second question. It will run as a service the service name is AutoUpdateAgent (sonic.net backup)

But I still would like to know the answer to the first one and confirmation of the service

7. Kavan
    August 20, 2008 at 7:31 am

The time prediction within the program is not terribly accurate, but manual backups do override scheduled backups in my testing. Future scheduled backups will pick up on the state from the manual backup though.

8. Alex
    August 20, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I have a feature suggestion.
    It would be nice to throttle the upload speed. Right now, it is sucking up the entire upload bandwidth so it is making for a less than optimal surfing experience.

I’d suggest putting options in the tool.
    Be able to set hours when the upload is limited. For example, allow it to run full out from 2:00AM to 6:00AM, but then lower the bandwidth used to 300K or something like that during the hours when folks are awake.

I’m running a manual backup now that is going to take a few days to complete.
    Assuming, that the tool will only backup changes once the first backup is complete, it probably will be ok. I’ve got it scheduled to start a 2:00 in the morning. So assuming that it does only upload changes, it will probably finish in a few hours anyway. But I think having a bandwidth schedule would still be a good idea.

9. williamt
    August 22, 2008 at 8:20 am

We are looking at different ways for end users to control the speed. Right now we can set the speed manually if you ask us to.

10. August 31, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Hi,
    I’ve been using it since you released it, and overall very happy. I’m impressed with the way it can handle indvidual file updates.

My only complant is that a user must be logged in for the backup to run. It would be much better if the service could just run, even if no user is logged in.

11. Nick
    September 18, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I have been using this for almost a month now and see happy with it so far. The first back up took a very long time. But the next 2 that I ran took under an hour. I think this is a great service, just with it was like the old remote HDD services that was out there, that you could connect to from anywhere in the world and get to the data. But this is a great service I will most likely continue to use it.

12. October 31, 2008 at 1:03 am

I have also been using this and finding it to be a good solution and i m impressed buy this and will continue using this