Upstream Routing Issue

Starting this morning, we observed a transient problem with one of our upstream providers. Impact would have been inability to connect to certain websites. We have taken action to correct this issue. -Nathan, Tim and the NOC.

14 comments for “Upstream Routing Issue

1. Alice Gunn
    September 12, 2008 at 11:11 am

Some wierd stuff is happening with my email. I can’t open my inbox sometimes and when it does open, it takes forever to open a new email message and often it never opens. Is this a problem at sonic or do I have too much old mail hanging arounnd.

2. kavan
    September 12, 2008 at 11:16 am

It does look like you have a fair bit of email on the server, but we will need some more detail to really help you out with this. Email support@sonic.net with a brief description of the problem, what email program you are using, and if possible when this problem started. I expect we can help you get this resolved quickly!

3. Jose
    September 13, 2008 at 6:17 am

I started to have problems sending email from MS Outlook this week. The messages just stay in my outbox?? I was able to send from Web mail.
    I dont recall changing any settings in Outlook

4. adame
    September 13, 2008 at 9:23 am

Hi Jose,

The upstream routing issue would not have affected email performance. I’d suggest giving our Tech Support a call so we can help you fix the problem. You should be able to find a local number to reach us at http://www.sonic.net/popf2/

5. bill
    September 13, 2008 at 9:48 am

unclear from your message if all Sonic.Net customers are unable to connect to some sites, some customers are unable to connect to some sites, or what…

6. adame
    September 13, 2008 at 10:06 am

Sorry about that, Bill! The issue was resolved shortly after the post was made, but the problem was that some customers were unable to reach some sites.

7. Chris Demsey
    September 13, 2008 at 11:51 am

Did this have issues this morning also ?

8. adame
    September 13, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Not as far as we’re aware, Chris. I’m able to get to all the sites that were affected by this issue, and there doesn’t seem to be any packet loss on traffic through the upstream provider.

9. September 13, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I’m have the same trouble as Alice Gunn and all the others who lodged complaints.

10. September 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Sheridan, you should probably get in touch with our technical support staff so we can take a closer look at this, including which mail client you are using, your settings, the route that traffic takes from your computer to our mail server, etc.

11. dror
    September 13, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Still problems at 3:51. Can’t ping http://www.amazon.com from shell.sonic.net

12. dror
    September 13, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Looks like things are back to normal. Just a 5-10 minutes problem.

13. September 14, 2008 at 3:58 pm

This is my site and I know everything is good on the server end but the site is dead

14. September 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

@Dave Edmonds: the issue you’re seeing does not appear to be related to traffic passing through our external peer networks, as I am able to ping your IP just fine (from within Sonic.net’s network), but unable to connect on port 80. Your firewall or router may be blocking these incoming HTTP requests, or the web server software itself may not be working properly. Trying to load the page locally on your LAN may be a useful diagnostic step.