Brentwood Service Outage

At 1:18pm, our network engineering team became aware of voice issues impacting fiber customers in the Brentwood area. As of 4:58pm, data service became impacted as well. We are currently working to resolve these issues and will provide updates as more information becomes available.

-Sonic Support

44 comments for “Brentwood Service Outage

1. Conor
    February 14, 2020 at 6:57 pm

This is beginning to get ridiculous. It’s been nearly three hours and i feel as if you guys aren’t doing anything about it.

2. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 7:08 pm

Hi Conor,
    I understand it’s frustrating, but we’re definitely still working on it. Some customers are actually back up and running, but it seems that data is being restored slower than it otherwise should be. Hopefully we’ll get you back up and running soon.

3. Nicholas Seeley
    February 14, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I feel that the communication to the service members is seriously lacking. Why aren’t we getting updated on estimated time to return service? Or even made aware of the cause of such a sustained outage.

4. Benjamin Steele
    February 14, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Daniel, I know you guys are doing what you can. My house is still down as well. Could you give us any information about what happened?

5. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 7:22 pm

Hi Nicholas,
    We don’t have an estimated time of repair yet because we’re still sorting out the root issue. Some customers are actually back up and running but data is returning slower than anticipated. Obviously not ideal, and I’m sorry we haven’t gotten your service back up and running yet.

The message of the day will be updated as soon as we have more information regarding the outage.

6. Luke
    February 14, 2020 at 7:33 pm

My Ethernet works, but my wireless wifi does not. Is that what’s happening with everyone else?

7. Joe
    February 14, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Only a suggestion

Text message alerts would be beneficial when an outage is confirmed. Updates and restoration of services would also be nice via text.

Trying to make a positive out of this negative situation.

8. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Hey Benjamin,
    Thanks, we really do appreciate your patience!

I’m not part of our Network Engineering team so grains of salt apply, but from what I understand, there’s an issue with hardware serving DHCP in the area.

I’m in contact with the team addressing the issue and I’ll provide an update to the MOTD ASAP.

9. Lu saka
    February 14, 2020 at 7:54 pm

Do you guys have an estimated time the service will be back up.

10. Jason Anderson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:04 pm

What a bunch of babies. I have had sonic for the two years I have been here and never ran into issues and if I did it was minor. Calm down . It’s an outage sure it sucks but they are working on it. It’s not like they just flip a switch or something.

11. Brian Foster
    February 14, 2020 at 8:10 pm

Thanks for all the hard work. I’m sure you guys are working hard to fix it.

12. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:12 pm

Hi Joe,

In many situations, we send out email notifications as well as SMS regarding outages. Directly communicating is always the goal. Unfortunately, there are certain network events/issues that make this problematic. Regardless, we need to do better moving forward, we’re absolutely on the same page there.

13. Brian vanMastrigt
    February 14, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Aside from how slow AT&T cellular is in Brentwood, I’m actually kinda grateful it’s out. Is Valentine’s Day and my anniversary so it’s nice amor be without the internet

14. Steven Tay
    February 14, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Hi, my service actually went back up for a couple of hours,but just now got no internet again.

15. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Brian! Outages are always a bummer, but we’re doing what we can to resolve it, and really appreciate your patience in this.

16. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:26 pm

Not just yet, but once we have that information I’ll provide that in an update. Some customers are online, and more are slowly reconnecting, but I don’t think the outage has been cleared just yet.

17. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:31 pm

Hi Steven,

That is unfortunately expected behavior. We’re still working on it, but we’ll send out an update as soon as we can.

18. Ray
    February 14, 2020 at 8:37 pm

Daniel,
    R u a chatbot?

19. Andrew Tellez
    February 14, 2020 at 8:40 pm

This is outrageous, I had plans on just watching anime all night as I am alone on Valentine’s now the plan is ruined.

20. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Nope!

21. Christopher David
    February 14, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Still there seems to be no ETA, which is very strange.
    Can you pls post an ETA so that it will help to plan, especiallly those who need to work from home overnight.

22. VLee
    February 14, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Any update, looks like I’m late to the party on the outage as I didn’t get alert. Just checking…

23. David
    February 14, 2020 at 8:46 pm

Up and running in Garin Ranch! Thanks Sonic crews.

24. iain
    February 14, 2020 at 8:48 pm

That’s exactly what a chatbot would answer 😀

25. iain
    February 14, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Seems I got a DHCP response at 04:43 UTC. Are we up? Or just unstable?

26. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Our Network engineers are still working on the issue, and as far as I am aware, they have not identified the underlying cause. Posting an ETA to establish false expectations wouldn’t help, but once I do know when service will be restored I’ll post another update. I’m sorry I can’t give you a timeline at this point, but we’re working on it!

27. Ray
    February 14, 2020 at 8:51 pm

It seems service is up…

28. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Hey VLee,

No update yet. Customers are still coming online, but slower than they should be, and we’ve seen reports of instability. Once the underlying issue has been resolved we’ll provide an update to the MOTD.

29. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  30. Daniel's #1 Fan
    February 14, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Daniel, you beautiful sonufagun, you did it. While the engineers were fighting the battle to try and get it fixed, you were risking your life keeping us sane.

The next drink’s on me. What a legend. 10/10 give this man a raise. 5☆ rating from your biggest fan.

31. Jeff
    February 14, 2020 at 9:00 pm

My name is jeff

32. VLEE
    February 14, 2020 at 9:01 pm

My internet just came back thanks for the update Daniel ‍♂️

33. Dinesh
    February 14, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Once the service comes back online, would we have to reboot our ONT/Routers to re-establish our connections?

Thank you! Appreciate all the updates so far.

34. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:04 pm

I can’t take credit for anything other than exactly what you described.

Just kidding! but I’m glad it’s back up and running. I’m waiting to confirm the outage has been cleared with our engineer team now

35. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:06 pm

Glad to hear you’re up! We have heard some reports of intermittent connectivity, but I’m hoping we’ve been able to resolve the issue entirely at this point. Just waiting to hear from our network engineers.

36. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:08 pm

We have seen reports of intermittent connectivity. A core piece of equipment has been isolated as the issue, and we’re working on that now. Surf might be touch and go, but we’re closer to resolution.

37. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:09 pm

That should be unnecessary for this issue in specific. If we see a trend of needing to powercycle devices I’ll reach out, but I believe this is all on our side.

38. Askson Buton
    February 14, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I needed the internet services tonight dearly, as I have no girls in my life and no friends :(, please fix not wokring in deer ridge :0, I very alone and bored .

39. VLee
    February 14, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Lol, nothing like rebooting the core routers a few times , just playing god speed to everyone else…

40. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:21 pm

We’re working on it, Askson! Bear with us while we get things square. We’re hoping to get you up and running soon!

41. Daniel Thompson
    February 14, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Well, technically they’re switches.. 🙂

42. iain
    February 14, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for being the messenger, and taking the heat, Daniel! 🙂

43. VLee
    February 14, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Lol, someone spamming a switch and over loaded rack eh

44. VLee
    February 14, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Or did someone forget to turn BPDU guard on a new switch , just curious?